At the moment I am still reading “The Beauty Myth” by Naomi Wolf, she writes about the history behind this myth, how it got into our society. It’s very disturbing how fast we have lost what so many women have been fighting for -The right over our bodies.
“The more legal and material barriers that we women have been torn down, the heavier and harder, we have been charged with images of how we should look.”
“The Beauty Myth” deals with several topics concerning politics, culture, work, hunger, violence and sex. The “beauty myth” is everywhere and is there for a certain reason, somebody benefits from this. I think that you should read the book now! Put away your other books, let’s start a revolution! Once you start reading the book you will realize what society is doing, all advertisements about loosing weight, getting rid of wrinkles/cellulites, why you constantly feel bad about yourself, why you compare yourself to others, why you feel that you have to freshen’ up your wardrobe. You will understand why this thing still exists, why there is a lack of solidarity between women. This book is staggering in a good way! Go buy it! Borrow it! Tell your friends about it!
I would love to write more about it later, when I find time, and when I find a way to formulate my thoughts and important key pieces that everyone should know then I will write the post, due to lack of time and important data as statistics, laws and examples that demonstrate the impact of the beauty myth are a bit difficult to find and rewrite into english I find it easier to tell you that YOU SHOULD READ THE BOOK!
Pic: Frome here
So today started pretty early (for me atleast, especially on a saturday..) with me driving my mother to the ariport, at 7:00!
My goal for today is to be really efficient (ehh good luck! I’m extremly inefficient) so I can spend my sunday in bed with a big cup of tea watching Friends. My new addiciton, it’s sooo funny! I can’t belive I haven’t watched it before, I mean I’ve watched Friends. But only random episodes…
But anyway, today I have to:
– Write (or atleast start) my essey for environmental politics.
– Read the book “Silent Ocean” (or as it’s called in Swedish “Tyst Hav” by Isabella Lövin!, it’s relly good but I don’t feel like spending my saturday reading a book about the fishing industry in Europe…
– Clean my house! It’ dirty, and I don’t mean messy. It’s DIRTY!! I haven’t vacuumed my bedroom in ehh two weeks?
– Work out. I’m thinking pilates or yoga, I don’t feel like jogging (jogging in my world means walking fast, and every time some one walks by I run really fast and pretend that’s what I’ve been doing all the time!)
– Work on a presentation! I have to figure out what I want to say… (Ehh nothing, I don’t like to talk in front of people! Especially smart ones who know what im talking about..)
I have to get this all done before five so I can have a life tonight an acutally meet some friends (real ones, not the show).
Wish me good luck!