Cherry Pie Larabars
Inspired by Rawified
Yield: 4 bars
1/2 cup pitted dates
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 – 1 tablespoon warm water
In a food processor, process the dates and almonds until finely ground (I used the “grind” button on my machine). Add the cherries and process until the mixture is in uniform chunks, about the size of…oh, I don’t know. Small gravel? If the mixture seems too dry to easily stick together, add warm water 1/4 tablespoon at a time until the mixture starts to clump together. Err on the side of adding less water, because you can’t take it back!
To make nice square bars, I squished the mixture into a rough square with my hands, wrapped it in wax paper, then used a cutting board to press the top flat. I used a random assortment of flat-edged items in my kitchen to press the sides flat.
1 1/2 cups cake flour (I used a substitute)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups water
2 sticks Earth Balance butter (at room temperature)
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup cherry preserves
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2-3 Tablespoons almond milk (or whichever non-dairy milk you have, I just always have almond milk on hand)
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a big bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together vegetable oil, vinegar, vanilla, and water.
- Whisk the wet ingredients into dry. Whisk until everything is combined. This batter is really runny.
- Put the batter into a muffin tin lined with paper liners. This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cream together the Earth Balance and powdered sugar. Add the cherry preserves, vanilla, and almond extracts. Beat until light and creamy. Add almond milk as needed to get the right consistency.
- Frost and garnish with a cherry.