Soup is certainly the most flexible and easy thing you can cook at home. Homemade soups are very nutritious and satisfying, so follow these 5 steps and you’ll be able to improvise a good homemade soup from scratch in no time:
1. Start with a little fat and a lot of flavor: cook one or two aromatics (garlic, ginger, onions, or shallots) in a little olive oil or butter. It takes just a few minutes to give a solid background to your soup.
2. Add the seasoning. This can be as basic as salt and freshly ground pepper from the mill or a spice mix. A good citrus zest or a dried bay leaf will do it nicely too. Try to add fresh herbs at the last minute for a better effect. Slightly heat your aromatics until you can smell their fragrance.
3. Stir in the liquid. Add stock, water, juice, wine, beer, or whatever combination of liquids you like.
4. now it’s time to add your main ingredients. Put the longest cooking time ingredient first, then go for the shortest. If you want your vegetables to melt into the soup, add them early. As opposite: for a fresh a crisp bite, add them at the last minute. When you recycle cooked leftovers, add them at the very end.
5. Taste your soup continuously as you go along. Dip your spoon into the pot frequently. Readjust your ingredients and correct the seasonings. Don’t be afraid: it’s only soup!
6. Serve your soup directly or blend it with your hand blender for a rustic texture. You can add a dollop of cream to add some smoothness.
Read More at Eatwell101 and find a bunch of delicious soup recipes on the same site :)