- Flesh of one ripe persimmon, seeds and skin removed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pinch cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Combine persimmon flesh, brown sugar, water, and spices in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Allow to simmer about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Allow to cool slightly.
- Once cooled, purée syrup mixture and strain into a bottle to remove any bits of flesh that haven’t broken down (syrup will be on the thicker side — that is okay, you just don’t want any stringy flesh or bits of skin that may have gotten into the mixture).
- 3-5 mint leaves
- 1 pinch lime zest
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 2 ounces persimmon syrup
- 1 ounce rum (I used a lightly spiced rum, but a white rum also works well here)
- 2 ounces club soda (optional)
- Muddle mint leaves and lime zest in the bottom of a glass. Add lime juice, persimmon syrup, and rum. Give it all a quick stir, add a few ice cubes and club soda if desired. Top with a sprig of mint and serve.