1 1/2 cups cake flour (I used a substitute)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups water
2 sticks Earth Balance butter (at room temperature)
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup cherry preserves
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2-3 Tablespoons almond milk (or whichever non-dairy milk you have, I just always have almond milk on hand)
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a big bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together vegetable oil, vinegar, vanilla, and water.
- Whisk the wet ingredients into dry. Whisk until everything is combined. This batter is really runny.
- Put the batter into a muffin tin lined with paper liners. This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cream together the Earth Balance and powdered sugar. Add the cherry preserves, vanilla, and almond extracts. Beat until light and creamy. Add almond milk as needed to get the right consistency.
- Frost and garnish with a cherry.